Sunday, August 30, 2009

Falling Needles

The needles on our pine trees began falling today. It is always the first real sign from nature that summer is over. The wind has picked up today as well so we are actually getting piles of needles, quickly. They rain down with every gust. I know many people who rake up the needles and put them in the trash. I consider the needles natures winter blanket, in the Spring I can just lift up the blanket and there is a green, thriving world under there. Really...I am not being lazy! :0)

One of my favorite things about living here in the mountains is the smell of hot, dry pine needles, there is nothing like it. In the fall when there is a good thick layer of needles on the ground and the days still get hot, the smell is amazing. Pungent. Piney fresh!

We spend many hours collecting our wood for the winter this time of year and it is a job that I don't mind. The forest is so peaceful, except for the chainsaw running, and I love the feeling that I am preparing for winter in the most simple way. I imagine it is the same for people who can fruit and veggies for the winter. This is a photo of Kev last year. We haven't started yet, but we do have our forestry tickets and we will be starting soon. I don't want to end up like the grasshopper in Aesop's Fable that played all summer! Brrrr

2 comments:

DUTA said...

Your post reminds me of something unpleasant that happened to me once. I was away from home and touched by accident a pine tree (or was it some other sort of tree?) and got stung by the needle . I got agonizing pain in my finger for the rest of the day.

DUTA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.