Friday, July 9, 2010

I Heart Bleeding Hearts

One of my favorite flowers, it is impossible for me to choose just one or...ten, is the Bleeding Heart. This photo below is a shot of my pink Bleeding Hearts last month...They are to the left of the photo. and here they are today!

The plant is covered with drooping stems of heavy pink hearts each one dripping a bit of white. As I watched them bob and bounce in the breeze I pondered over the symbolism of the fresh full young heart and how it splays open and reveals the white "blood" inside as it ages. I am sure someone has written a wonderful poem about it.

Actually I think "Love Hurts" by Nazareth seems to fit.

May your heart stay fresh and young while still gaining wisdom. J

1 comment:

DUTA said...

They're a lovely sight these flowers; so delicate! They decline and die after flowering, so maybe this fact relates in some way to the word 'bleeding'.